The national coordination mechanism for the 2030 Agenda is multi-tiered and comprises:
- The National 2030 Agenda Oversight Committee (NAOC)
- Thematic Working Groups of Vision 2030 Jamaica and other sector specific committees
- The 2030 Agenda SDGs Core Group (Core Group)
A SDGs Secretariat has been established in the Planning Institute of Jamaica (PIOJ), with responsibility for supporting all aspects of the work of the NAOC and its sub-committees: a) Communications; b) Data, Monitoring and Reporting; and c) Resource Mobilisation and Financing.
The NAOC, which reports to Cabinet, was established in 2017 as a technical body comprising high-level representatives from government, civil society groups, private sector, academia, trade unions, political directorate and youth. The mandate of the Committee is to provide policy and strategic level advice for the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the SDGs. The work of this Committee is linked to the implementation and monitoring of the post-2015 development agenda. It is chaired by the Director General of the PIOJ and meet on a quarterly basis or as deemed necessary. Trough the PIOJ, updates are provided to Cabinet at agreed intervals.
Jamaica has also adopted a tripartite mechanism comprising three key national focal points (Core Group): the PIOJ, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade (MFAFT), and the Statistical Institute of Jamaica (STATIN). The SDGs Core Group supports the NAOC to:
- Provide policy and technical advice to Cabinet, Parliament, Ministries, Department and Agencies
- Promote institutional coordination at the national and sub-national levels for policy coherence
- Facilitate inclusive and multi-stakeholder participation
- Coordinate the monitoring,reporting and accountability framework for the SDGs
- Manage public education campaign/awareness and advocacy for the SDGs.
More information available at: http://statinja.gov.jm/sdg.aspx