Virtual Meeting of the Network of National Public Investment Systems in Latin America and the Caribbean "Flexibilization in the SNIPs in time of COVID 19 and its results", May 2020
The Virtual Meeting of the Network of National Public Investment Systems in Latin America and the Caribbean "Flexibilization in the SNIPs in time of COVID 19 and its results", aimed to open a space for discussion and exchange of knowledge to identify strengths and weaknesses of the different ways of managing health investment in times of health emergency. The initial presentation "Investment in health in the context of COVID-19" was given by Heidi Ullmann, Social Affairs Officer, ECLAC Social Development Division. As part of the meeting methodology, participants were divided into 3 working groups:
- Group I: countries where there is externally generated flexibility in SNIPs, due to emergency declaration or related regulatory framework.
- Group II: countries that have flexibility in some processes/requirements in the SNIPs applicable to the COVID 19 situation.
- Group III: countries that have dealt with the pandemic within the SNIP, maintaining the processes/requirements in place.
The working groups focused their reflection on the topic "Public Investment under pressure: SNIPs and investment projects in the health sector in the COVID-19 crisis", with the purpose of sharing the advantages and disadvantages of this type of management, according to the following elements:
- Balance between agility in the resource allocation process and methodological rigor in project formulation and evaluation.
- Results obtained from the point of view of planned investments.
- Results obtained in terms of health objectives.
Representatives from Argentina, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Panama and Uruguay participated, as well as specialists from IDB, GIZ and ILPES/CEPAL.