In accordance with the National Land Use Policy proper planning, siting, and infrastructure provision shall occur prior to development of new settlement areas. This shall take the form of Local Area Plans, which are the instruments that defines the parishes physical boundaries and guarantees the adequate community facilities and amenities.
Moreover, Local Area Plans should identify the impacts/potential impacts of climate change and identify adaptation measures.
Some examples of Local Area Plans are:
- - Roseau Development Plan
- - Northeast Area Land Use Plan
- - Pont Casse and Environs Plan
- - Portsmouth and Cotton Hill Plan
- - Carib Territory Area Plan