Under an integrated and structures approach to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, the Prime Minister and the Cabinet established the National Coordinating Mechanism for implementing the 2030 Agenda and the 17 SDGs. This mechanism is composed by the SDG-Cabinet Sub-Committee of Ministers (CSC), which provides guidance to the Sustainable Development Goals National Coordinating Committee (SDGNCC), responsible for the implementation and de follow-up of the 2030 Agenda in St Lucia.
The SDG-Cabinet Sub-Committee is chaired by the Minister for Sustainable Development, and is further constituted by the Minister for External Affairs, the Minister for Equity, Social Justice and Empowerment, the Minister of Finance and the Minister for Economic Development.
The SDGNCC is a multi-sectoral committee co-chaired by the Ministries responsible for Sustainable Development and Economic Development and is mandated to convene once every quarter. The inter-Ministerial SDGNCC is also comprised of representatives and alternates from the private sector, Academia, Youth, Civil Society and Non-Government Organizations. The Committee’s mandate provides for mandatory engagement with Faith-Based and Community-based organizations, as well as Persons with Disabilities, women’s groups and the wider public to ensure that no one is left behind.
The SDGNCC is mandated to:
- Spearhead the development of the SDGs Roadmap for Saint Lucia and to mobilize resources for its implementation;
- Provide guidance and develop mechanisms to align the SDG implementation process with other national processes;
- Report on progress to the Cabinet of Ministers;
- Manage and implement an advocacy plan and communication strategy for the 2030 Agenda
- Monitor and report on the progress of the implementation of the SDGs
Recommendations emanating from the National Audit Report have provided guidance for the enhancement of the responsibilities of the SDGNCC, which they are incorporating into their remit as follows:
- The identification of potential resources and capacity gaps that may affect the implementation of the 2030 agenda through collaboration with the Ministry of Finance and any other relevant ministry or agency that may be able to assess these resources and capacities;
- Comprehensive review of its implementation of the 2030 Agenda at the national, regional and international level, and commit to making these reviews happen.
- The establishment of baselines, national targets, means of measurement for targets or periods for review and reporting on the implementation of the 2030 agenda; and
- Assessment of the country’s data collection framework.
Concerning the follow-up, in 2015, the UNDS provided assistance to the Government of Saint Lucia for the preparation of a baseline study that reviewed and evaluated the status of data and statistics in Saint Lucia. The 2030 Agenda will be incorporated into national development frameworks, including the Medium Term Development Plan and the long term National Development plan currently in process of formulation.
Seguimiento de la Agenda 2030
The SDGNSS is mandated to monitor and report on the progress of the implementation of the SDGs